Templom

Los Angeles-i Első Magyar Református Egyház
First Hungarian Reformed Church of Los Angeles

12717 York Avenue, Hawthorne, California 90250   |  310-355-1475   |  E-mail   

Címoldal
Home

Templom
Church

Gyülekezet
Members

Tevékenység
Activity

Kapcsolat
Contact

 

Történet
History

The World

Beginnings

Our Pastors

Our Homes

Congregational life

Picture Galery

Heti program
Weekly schedule

Az Istentisztelet minden Vasárnap délelőtt 11 órakor kezdődik előbb angol, aztán magyar nyelven, külön textusok alapján, különböző Igehirdetésekkel.

Vasárnapi iskola
Sunday School

Minden fiatalt szeretettel várunk az Istentisztelet alatt tartott Vasárnapi Iskolába. Az iskola 11:30-kor kezdődik, tanítjuk a hittant és a magyar nyelvet. magyarul és angolul is.

Bibliaóra
Bible Study

Minden hónap harmadik vasárnapján, a Családi Vasárnap keretében, az ebéd után interaktív bibliaiskolát tartunk. Minden érdeklődőt szertetettel várunk!

Our Homes

From 1926 until 1930, the First Church worshipped as guests of the First Reformed Church at 950 East 45th Street, in Los Angeles. This was an American congregation who extended the hand of grace and friendship to us, and let our congregation worship in their buildings rent-free.

All the while, the Reverend Hady and members of the congregation actively searched for a home of their own. In 1930, with much joy and anticipation for a bright future, they purchased a church and several adjoining buildings at 1101 West Florence Avenue in Los Angeles. A lively church blessing ceremony - Templomszentelsi nnep - was held on April 13, 1930. Over the years, this building was remodeled, repainted and improved many times over. Many new roofs were installed, a new heating system and Baldwin organ were put in, the kitchen was enlarged, sanctuary remodeled and so on. Many people remember how the Reverend Antal Szab spearheaded the 1940`s drive to raise funds for the purchase and installation of the beautiful stained glass windows. For those who are interested, the windows are still in the Florence Avenue church, which now belongs to another Christian congregation. The stained glass panels movingly depict a life-sized Jesus standing at the door and knocking. Another window shows Jesus with his head bowed in anguish in the garden at Gethsemane.

In 1987, the old Florence Avenue church was sold during an incredibly difficult and anguished time for the congregation. The entire congregation, but especially then-Chief Elder Margaret Saltzer and Dr. Bla Bir, began a persistent search for a new permanent home. While the great search for a new building was ongoing, the congregation worshipped as guests of the First Congregational Church in Pasadena. After five seemingly endless years of viewing countless church properties, in May of 1992 then-Chief Elder Bla Bir, while doing his regular daily scouring of church property-listings, discovered what might be a suitable church building for sale in Hawthorne. The entire congregation went to see the property, and discovered later that they all prayed for the same thing afterwards: they thanked God for bringing the building to their attention, and prayed that the asking price be somehow lowered by a lot, so we could afford the purchase. The selling congregation heard from Dr. Bir how much the Hungarian congregation wanted the building - and apparently also from God that the asking price needed to be lowered. Astoundingly to some, not so astoundingly to the faithful, the asking price was suddenly lowered so that it became affordable to our congregation. The purchase was successfully completed and 12717 York Avenue in Hawthorne has been our home ever since.

In the spring of 1996, the congregation undertook a construction project to build the Fellowship Hall - Kossuth Terem. Many people made donations toward this work, including individuals who were former long-time members who had moved away but still wanted the First Church to continue its work in serving the Hungarian community. Much of the interface with the builder was done by faithful congregation member and Secretary, Ferenc Hudk who diligently visited the site nearly every day to make sure things were proceeding smoothly. The work was substantially complete in November of 1997.

Some things were done shortly after - George Warga, a nephew of long-time member, Betty Warga installed the vinyl tile flooring in the Hall, and a kitchen sink. The family of members Zsuzsika Cariaga and Piroska Castillo donated tables and chairs. Tnde Garai donated the large kitchen stove and more recently a frisky-sounding Kimball baby-grand piano. Making significant donations toward the kitchen shelves were Helen Stefl and Adel Tth. Now the buzz of fellowship activity resonates in our buildings regularly.

With God`s grace and assistance, our congregation just recently completed the re-carpeting and repainting of the sanctuary and other rooms. Again Ferenc Hudk, along with wife Ibolya, children Eszter and Viktor, as well as congregation members Bla Bcsa and Tnde, have all worked incredibly hard to get this work done.

So with these ongoing building improvements at our new home, we continue the home-improvement tradition that started on Florence Avenue. We thank God for the homes He has provided our congregation through the years, and for giving us the strength and energy to continue His work.

>>>

AZ ÚR HORDOZZON ÁLDÁSÁBAN!
God Bless All of You and See You Again Soon!
Our church`s ability to pay the bills, make repairs and keep up our building is completely dependent on God`s grace, your prayers,time and donations. May God bless everyone who supports our church!

Adomány
Donation

Egyházunk fennmaradásához bízunk Isten kegyességében, pártolóink imáiban, és adományaiban. Köszönünk minden adományt.
Our church's ability to exist is completely dependent on God`s grace, your prayers, time and donations. We are grateful for all donations.

Donate

Útirány
Location

Egyházunkhoz - a 405-ös fwy-ről az El Segundo Blvd. lejáratnál forduljon kelet felé az El Segundo Blvd.-on. Elhagyván a Hawthorne Blvd-ot, a 6. sarok balra York Avenue (Prairie Ave. előtt). Majdnem az El Segundo és York saroknál találhatják sárga templom épületünket.
Take 405 and Exit on El Segundo Blvd.Go EAST (away from the ocean) until York Ave. Turn left at York. We are the yellow building, just in from the corner.

 
 

Szerkesztõ Editor: Hegedűs Attila